Springtime Tours '76-'77 2 CD Set
By: For Elvis Fans Only
January 19, 2010 - 10:59:02 AM
Elvis Presley Bootleg CDs & DVDs
Unfortunately both the March 17th and March 20th, 1976, 8:30 p.m. concerts were not captured in entirety. These tapes were recorded in binaural with the lead-guitar almost isolated in the right channel, probably due to an expected change of lead guitar-player. The March 17th, 1976 recording was mixed down to stereo and two songs were added in original binaural sound as a bonus. The March 20th, 1976 8:30 p.m. show (previously released as 'Running For President') is presented in excellent quality in its genuine binaural form. These shows are fascinating to listen to, as Elvis' band sounds totally different thanks to the new additions Larry London on drums and Shane Keister on keyboards, breathing new life into Elvis' repertoire at the time.
All 1977 tracks are stereo recordings made by Felton Jarvis, using an 8-track tape recorder.
Among the Johnson City concert highlights are a rare 'Until It's Time For You To Go', the first live rendition of 'Hurt' and a tremendous 'Tryin' To Get To You'. Unreleased 1977 highlights: 'My Way' from Chicago, May 2, 'That's All Right' from Abilene, March 27th, and finally another 'My Way' - again from Abilene - including a beautifully recited spoken part! This is a truly sensational version, and the spoken part will no doubt give you goosebumps. A remarkable find, and certainly one of the most interesting discoveries in recent years!
Note: some previously released 1977 tracks are included, because they are taken from the original source and containing bits of unheard dialogues before & after each song.
This new Audionics production will be presented in double digipack with a 16-page booklet. All accompanying photographs were taken on March 17-18, 1976, in Johnson City, TN, March 20, 1976 in Charlotte, NC, evening show and on tour in March - May, 1977. This 2-CD set is expected at the end of January.
Springtime Tours '76-'77 is as recorded live from the mixing desk in Johnson City, TN, March 17th, 1976 tour opening, Charlotte, NC, March 20th, 1976 Evening show and in various locations, March-May, 1977.
01. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra
02. C. C. Rider
03. I Got A Woman / Amen
04. Love Me
05. You Gave Me A Mountain
06. Tryin' To Get To You
07. All Shook Up
08. Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
09. Until It's Time For You To Go
10. Hurt (first live version)
11. Polk Salad Annie (incomplete)
12. Introductions by Elvis of vocalists, band
13. What'd I Say (James Burton, instrumental)
14. What'd I Say (reprise, James Burton, instrumental)
15. Drum solo (Larry Londin)
16. Bass solo (Jerry Scheff)
17. What'd I Say (Shane Keister)
18. Electric Piano & Clavinet solo (David Briggs)
19. School Day (Joe Guercio Orchestra)
20. And I Love You So (with break)
21. Fairytale (Chicago, May 2, 1977)
22. My Way (Chicago, May 2, 1977 - previously unreleased)
24. Love Me Tender (Norman, March 26, 1977 - previously unreleased)
25. Polk Salad Annie (Milwaukee, April 27, 1977)
26. Bridge Over Troubled Water (Duluth, April 29, 1977)
27. Big Boss Man (Duluth, April 29, 1977)
28. Trying To Get To You (Abilene, March 27, 1977)
29. That's All Right (Abilene, March 27, 1977 - previously unreleased)
30. Lawdy, Miss Clawdy (Abilene, March 27, 1977)
31. My Way (Abilene, March 27, 1977 - previously unreleased)
Tracks 01. - 20. recorded in Johnson City, TN, March 17, 1976. All tracks except for 06, 10, 17, 20, 21, 25-28 and 30 previously unreleased.
02. Love Me
03. Let Me Be There
04. You Gave Me A Mountain
05. Steamroller Blues
06. All Shook Up
07. Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
08. Hound Dog
09. Heartbreak Hotel
10. Polk Salad Annie
11. Introductions by Elvis of vocalists, band
12. What'd I Say (James Burton)
13. Drum solo (Larry Londin)
14. Bass solo (Jerry Scheff)
15. Piano solo (Shane Keister)
16. Electric Piano & Clavinet solo (David Briggs)
17. Introduction of Charlie Hodge
18. And I Love You So
20. Burning Love
21. America The Beautiful
22. Funny How Time Slips Away
24. How Great Thou Art
25. Can't Help Falling In Love
26. Closing Vamp
27. Trying To Get To You (Johnson City, March 17, 1976 - original binaural)
28. Hurt (Johnson City, March 17, 1976 - original binaural)
29. Are You Lonesome Tonight (Norman, March 26, 1977)
30. Blue Christmas (Norman, March 26, 1977)
31. Heartbreak Hotel (Saginaw, April 25, 1977)
32. Mystery Train / Tiger Man (Saginaw, May 3, 1977)
33. Can't Help Falling In Love (incomplete, Saginaw, May 3, 1977)
34. My Way (Toledo, April 23, 1977)
Tracks 01. - 26. recorded in Charlotte, NC, March 20, 1976 8:30 P.M. and previously unreleased in binaural. Tracks 01. - 20. recorded in Johnson City, TN, March 17, 1976. Track 33 previously unreleased, track 34 is a previously unreleased stereo recording.
Tupelo's Own Elvis Presley DVD + 16 page booklet.
Never before have we seen an Elvis Presley concert from the 1950's with sound. Until Now! The DVD Contains recently discovered unreleased film of Elvis performing 6 songs, including Heartbreak Hotel and Don't Be Cruel, live in Tupelo Mississippi 1956. Included we see a live performance of the elusive Long Tall Sally seen here for the first time ever.
This is an excellent release no fan should be without it.
The 'parade' footage is good to see as it puts you in the right context with color and b&w footage. The interviews of Elvis' Parents are well worth hearing too. The afternoon show footage is wonderful and electrifying : Here is Elvis in his prime rocking and rolling in front of 11.000 people. Highly recommended.